Jun 6, 2011

Posted by in Philosophy & Apologetics, Satire | 26 Comments

The International Affiliation of Public Debates has decided to place restrictions on debaters to prevent their opponents from being publicly humiliated. The controversial decision was made after the shocking result of the Sam Harris vs. William Lane Craig debate, “Is Good from God?” held at Notre Dame University on April 7, 2011, where every single one of Harris’ arguments was ripped to shreds by Craig’s sharp and rigorous logic. The most perceptive thing that Harris said that night was in his opening remarks, in which he acknowledged that Craig was “the one Christian apologist who seems to have put the fear of God into many of my fellow atheists.”

However, this was not the first time that Craig’s keen logic has humiliated an opponent. After the 2009 debate with Christopher Hitchens on the existence of God, even atheists were acknowledging Craig’s landslide victory. As the blog Common Sense Atheism remarked, “Craig was flawless and unstoppable. Hitchens was rambling and incoherent. Frankly, Craig spanked Hitchens like a foolish child.”

“It’s just not right that Christian theists like Dr. Craig should be able to reduce atheists’ arguments to intellectual compost,” commented Karl Tigellinus, president of the IAPD, on their decision to place restrictions on debaters. “Atheists are already at a great disadvantage without truth, reason, and common sense on their side. This way we hope to level the playing field.”

As a result, Richard Dawkins might finally agree to a one-on-one debate with Craig. After the recent defeats of so many prominent and respected atheists, Dawkins has always refused to face Craig. Ignoring pleas from fellow atheists to nut up or shut up (e.g., Dr. Daniel Came from the University of Oxford, in a letter to Dawkins, said that the latter’s refusal to debate Craig is “apt to be interpreted as cowardice”) Dawkins maintains that he has good reasons for his pusillanimity–namely, “I have no interest in this.”

Illustration by Matt Francis

Dawkins has staked his career on his promotion of atheism as a philosophically defensible and superior worldview, publishing books such as The God Delusion and The Devil’s Chaplain, and Craig is widely held to be today’s most prominent defender of Christian theism in the public square.

But what are these restrictions exactly? In a letter which Tigellinus wrote to Dawkins hoping to assuage his fears, Tigellinus wrote, “This is how it would go: if during the debate Craig is opening up a can of logical whoopass on you, the moderator will call you and Dr. Craig together in private and say something like, ‘So far all the ad hominems and straw men and red herrings have come from you, Mr. Dawkins. Dr. Craig, you need to start throwing out a couple of vituperative and fallacious remarks every now and then; and if you could coach Mr. Dawkins on how to argue his side of the debate logically, then no one will be able to say that he got philosophically curb stomped.’”

Christians have started a petition to repeal the restrictions, but Tigellinus remarked, “It is not the policy of the IAPD to take into account the interests and wishes of people who identify themselves as Christians. Perhaps if they wanted to identify themselves as one of the groups we actually give a crap about, we would reconsider.”

Travis Lambert

Interests: Apologetics; Classical and Medieval Latin, Literature, and Philosophy; Epic Poetry; C.S. Lewis; chess; travel; writing (novel, short fiction, creative nonfiction, essay, Latin composition, translation).

1. Is this a joke?

2. Daniel Rubio says:

Nice touch with Karl Tigellinus. I approve.

3. I’m stupid.

I saw “philosophy and apologetics” in the section it was posted and failed to read “satire” after that.

Please, forgive my stupidity.

I did think it was funny though.

John

4. I also want to point out that this is not the first time I have failed to read everything. One would figure that I’d learn…

5. I’ve recently come across this reverence for WLC but I’ve yet to see a reason for it. I’ve watched his debate with Hitchens and he does come off slightly better but only because Hitchens does not deal with his arguments directly (which would have been trivial). I may watch the debate with Harris but having seen a few clips of WLC using such terrible arguments as first cause and Plantinga’s “naturalism cannot explain rationality” I don’t hold up much hope of being impressed.

6. Justin Mulwee says:

@Joseph

I’ve noticed some of the more philosophically inclined people seem to think Craig is not all that great. However, he does seem more than capable of wiping the floor with all of atheism’s popular poster-boys. The good thing about Craig and people like him is that he explains things simply so that the average person can understand him, yet he’s a sharp debater – that’s why many Christians like him so much.

You would think the atheist community would come up with someone who can actually address Craig’s arguments instead of just making irrelevant comments and hoping they’ll go away.

7. @Joseph

Perhaps you underestimate the arguments you have blithely dismissed.

@Justin

The McGrews, Chris Jakway, and I are philosophically inclined, and we do think Craig is all that good and then some. I suppose if you define “philosophically inclined” to exclude people who do love Craig, then that would work. However, apart from being arbitrary and offensive, I have yet to hear of a good reason why philosophically inclined people should dislike Craig, other than the fact that he doesn’t talk over people’s heads as much as other philosophers do. But if that is a defect, may the Lord smite me with it, and may I never recover.

As for the atheist community, I’m sure they would if they could.

8. Great article!

I hope this will also help flesh out the story:

:-)

9. Daniel Rubio says:

@ Travis

At least one good reason not to think of Craig as ‘all that’ is the complete failure of his argument against David Lewis’s theory of identity across time. His defense of presentism is also something of a failure.

Craig is a capable philosopher, but having read a number of his works he does not strike me as particularly impressive. He’s done good work on the Kalam argument, and made some interesting arguments in the philosophy of religion and the philosophy of time, but there are many others jsut as capable out there with far less press.

Craig tends to get lionized in Christian circles because he goes out and debates people. That’s all well and good, although the quality of his opponents is definitely a mixed bag. But it doesn’t make him somehow especially brilliant as a philosopher, which I believe is the claim Justin made.

10. Justin Mulwee says:

@ Travis and Dan
    I only meant exactly what I said.

“I’ve noticed some of the more philosophically inclined people seem to think Craig is not all that great.”

In other words, some people think Craig is not that great, and the commonality among those people is that they are philosophically inclined. No implication meant. It’s an observation about the opinions of some people, not a normative statement.

11. Love the article! Tell me you write for the Onion!

And on the subject, here’s my take on the situation:

Enjoy!

:-)

12. You guys should check out some classic theolojoking:

Open Theism pranks Norman Geisler. Oh yeah.

13. @Dan

I guess we’ll have to take your word for it….

@Justin

I grant you your observation if you grant me mine: namely, that all of the people I know who like Craig possess degrees in philosophy, and two of them are Philosophy professors–to the discredit of the many philosophically disinclined Christians I know (present company excluded) who by and large have never even heard of him.

@Byrom

Awesome video!

Incidentally, I was going to submit this to the Onion, but they don’t take submissions. I doubt they would have published it, though. Do they ever publish pro-Christian stuff?

14. Here is a better link to the Craig v Hitchens debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBx4vvlbZ8

15. James Verner says:

If Craig is too good for athiests, so be it. Don’t let the latter off the hook. They wouldn’t give theists a chance if they were on top. All power to Craig. Make the debate fair and let losers admit they don’t have it together. Hitchins and Dawkins do not look so good when we consider them in the light of Craig’s demolition machine! James

16. It’s really a cool and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Also visit my homepage; manage finance online

17. you’re in reality a excellent webmaster. The web site loading velocity is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a wonderful process
    in this subject!

18. My relatives every time say that I am wasting my time here at
    web, but I know I am getting experience everyday by reading thes pleasant articles or reviews.

my site :: polka dot stationary [amplitudemetamedia.com]

19. Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

20. I truly don?t accept this specific post. Nonetheless, I had searched with Google and I?ve found out that you?re correct and I had been thinking inside the improper way. Keep on creating top quality material related to this.

21. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting info. “Wayne All I have to say about that is asphinctersayswhat. Arcade owner What Wayne Exactly.” by Wayne’s World.

22. For the normal law abiding person, the most common type of interaction with
    the law involves traffic violations. A person can also be violated
    for his probation for various infractions that violate
    the conditions of probation such as not keeping
    probation informed of new adresses, leaving the state without
    permission, not paying court costs or restitution,
    not properly reporting to the probation officer, etc.

If you hire the best and professional dui lawyers for the job you will have a kind
    of guarantee that you will not be declared guilty at the end of
    the hearing.

23. I am actually delighted to read this web site posts which consists of plenty of
    useful information, thanks for providiing such data.

24. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put
    in writing this blog. I am hoping to view the same high-grade content from
    you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has
    motivated me to get my very own blog now ;)

25. I just like the helpful info you supply for your
    articles. I will bookmark your weblog and test again here frequently.
    I’m reasonably certain I will be told plenty of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the following!

26. James Verner says:

Hi! I thought I’d never see the day that an atheist would come with “hat in hand” asking to be let off the hook. The 1950′s made a joke of theists. For atheists at that time, only the ill-informed and uneducated were Christians. Today, with a few hundred Theists of Craig’s caliber, the tide has turned, leaving atheism with a terrible load of catching-up to do. James

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Restrictions to be Placed on Christian Debaters to Prevent Public Humiliation of Atheists | Blackbird Press « Travis Lambert - [...] Restrictions to be Placed on Christian Debaters to Prevent Public Humiliation of Atheists | Blackbird Press The International Affiliation ...